Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Fair 2011 (2nd Visit) Part 11 - Deep Fried Apple Pie




On our first trip to the fair this year, Dale and I found a booth that was selling deep fried apple pie. It sounded intriguing but, at the time we discovered it, we had both eaten enough for the day and were not willing to take in any more food. I was bound and determined to try it on our second fair outing for 2011. After the Prairie Home performance, Mom, Dale and I trekked across the grounds to get to the Minneapple Pie booth. It was worth it. The pie was like the ones McDonald's used to sell only 10 times better. You also got your choice of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream to go with it. I went with cinnamon which was a great pairing. Three of the fair's food judges were guests on the Prairie Home performance we had just seen and they sampled about three different fair foods as part of the show. One of the foods they sampled was the same deep fried pie I'm now writing about. They all liked it to one degree or another. One of them even said it had a good "mouth feel", whatever that means. Another, while generally liking it said it had too much crust. I remember leaning over to Mom and saying, "How can you have too much crust? I'd eat it all by itself!" I remember Mom making pie crust cookies with extra pie dough when she made pies years ago. Anyway, the fair's deep fried apple pie was worth seeking out.
Top two photos taken July 26, 2011. Bottom photo taken September 2, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment