Sunday, August 30, 2015

Fair 2015 - Visit #1: Away We Go...

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Last weekend Mike and I set up a date for me to join his family on a trip to the great Minnesota State Fair. I’ve been looking forward to it all week and today’s the day!

The weather always changes during the second half of August from the hot and humid days of high summer to the warm and less humid days that are typical now. Evenings have changed from warm to pleasantly cool. When this happens in mid-August, shortly after my birthday, I catch myself saying, “Feels like [State] Fair weather!”

Today had that definite fair time weather feel. I drove over to Mike and Charisse’s house around 3 pm. On the way over I heard MPR reporting that the Black Lives Matter protest near the entrance to the fair was just finishing up. The event was peaceful and went without incidence.

Charisse’s three sisters were in from out-of-town to make the trip to the fair with us. It was nice to meet Cathy, Cindy, and Char after having heard about them over the last few years. Mike and Charisse’s daughter Shay accompanied us as well.


As last year we did the park-and-ride deal again. There are numerous free lots in which to park located all over the metro area. Once parked, chartered, air-conditioned, Greyhound-type busses pick you up and deliver you to the gates of the fairground. The bus ride is free as well. Charisse bought our admission tickets in advance at Cub Foods (a locale grocery store chain) so we didn’t have to wait in line to buy tickets. Slick.

No comments:

Post a Comment